Following a fire at his property in Birmingham Road, Walsall in January 2009, landlord Pervaiz Khan pleaded guilty on 8 July at Wolverhampton Crown Court to five offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Khan was fined £9,000 and ordered to pay £8,166 in costs.
The property in question was a HMO (house in multiple occupation) and the court heard that Khan failed to take adequate precautions to ensure its safety. He also failed to install a fire alarm, and did not carry out a proper fire risk assessment.
When the fire brigade arrived to tackle the blaze they found tenants still asleep inside the property. A post-fire investigation found that no fire alarm had been fitted, there was no emergency lighting, and the only staircase in the building had no fire protection.
Arrange a free consultation